Indianapolis Paternity and Fathers Rights Attorney

Children do best when they have the support from both parents, including the father. Unfortunately, in the state of Indiana, this isn’t always the case. The courts can treat fathers unfairly, giving precedence to the mother of the child. If you’re fighting to protect and establish your rights as a father, you need a lawyer who combines compassion with legal know-how to ensure equal involvement in your child’s life. Megan Wells is a family law attorney who has the legal expertise to defend all fathers rights in court.

How can our family law office protect father’s rights?

According to Indiana state law, men should have an equal opportunity to fight for custodial rights of a child. Although before exercising those rights, you must establish paternity. Megan Wells Family Law helps Indianapolis fathers establish paternity and further assists in any cases regarding:

Get the Help You Need to Establish Paternity

There can often be a need for legal guidance when a child is born to unmarried parents. If an affidavit is not signed at the birth of the child, the father can be left without legal parental rights. During pregnancy, Attorney Megan Wells can provide legal guidance as to what should and shouldn’t be signed at the hospital. If you did not establish paternity at the birth of your child, Megan can help you complete a DNA test and file any paperwork with the courts. Once paternity is established, the legal rights of the parent can be explored.

We Advocate For Father’s Rights

Courts in Indianapolis make custody decisions based on the best interests of the child. If you have established paternity, want to be an active part in making important decisions on your child’s behalf, and believe that you can meet their needs, then you need a skilled advocate on your side.

Using her knowledge and expertise, Megan Wells will address your case with the care needed for such an intimate matter. You can rest assured that you will get the legal guidance you need to make the best decisions for you and your child. Megan can help you establish child custody, child visitation, and support in the interest of an effective parent-child relationship.

When there are questions relating to your identity as the father, or to the identity of your child’s father, get the delicate attention you need to establish paternity and resolve all related matters. Contact us today!

Common Questions

How is paternity determined?

Paternity is determined by completing a DNA test. If a father affidavit is not signed within 72 hours of the child’s birth, the father must be declared by the court. The court will require a DNA test to determine whether or not you are the biological father.

To fight for child custody, child support, visitation time, etc. the court may require a blood test to be completed. If you are only interested in establishing paternity and not challenging your rights, there are home kits that are fairly accurate.

What happens after paternity is determined?

In the state of Indiana, if an affidavit is signed, you are given all of the rights and responsibilities of a father. If no affidavit was signed and the father is not on the birth certificate he is not entitled to any rights of the child. Once you establish paternity, as a father you are able to request a court order to fight for your rights to be involved in the child’s life. You can also have the child’s last name changed.

What are my rights as a father in Indiana if married?

If you are married when your child is born, you are by law the legal father of your child. Both mothers and fathers are entitled to the same parental rights unless they get a divorce or separate. In that case, custody will be decided in court or mediation.

What are my rights as a father in Indiana when unmarried?

When unmarried, your rights as a father depend on whether or not you signed the paternity affidavit within 72 hours of the child’s birth. If you did, you are the legal father and have all parental rights and responsibilities. If not, then you have not recognized by Indiana as the father and you are not entitled to any rights.

How can we help you?